I was going for a college student look, I would appreciate your opinions.
Please take a look at my newest website at cssessay dot com and see if it looks good.
Not sure exactly what else to type. The site validates, looks a little different on the various browsers.
What's with the spam filter, it's hard to make a simple post without triggering it.
Archive and Forum give 404
Archive and Forum give 404 error.
Contact CAPTCHA falls off the design a bit at the bottom.
About form doesn't have CAPTCHA.
Can't believe your "Design Resources" section doesn't link to CSSCreator
1. you have one validation
1. you have one validation error, surely you can handle fixing just one
2. Am frowning about the trans doctype. should use strict
3. you have commented-out styles in the head tag, just get rid of it
4. Its not SEO friendly
5. You can do this using one wrapper, not three. remember, most all tags can hold a background image, not just divs. html and body also can hold background images.
6. you should research image sprites for use with your nav.
7. using the small tag, really?
8. you need to rethink your heading tags.
a. where is the h1??
b. sidebar headings have the same heading tag as post headings. Remember, you have h1-h6 to work with. they do not share the same importance, the sidebar headings should not be as important as post headings
9. divitis, many many divs.
10. your post h2 and h3's look to much alike. think of different colors, typeface, and size.
11. This is not the proper way to display code on a web page. There are converters out there that make it easy..
12. Now on to your look and feel...Everything needs more breathing room. seems everything is crammed together too tight.
13. site visitors dont care if your site is W3C valid, you should take those generic badges out.
14. Why do you have me searching for site branding? You want your branding to be the very first or second thing the visitor sees when landing on your page. Some layouts work well with branding off to the right-side, yours does not.
15. I dont like all the rainbow colors you have in you nav. Most dont match the sites main color scheme.
16. sidebar content needs to stand out more from the rest of the page...larger headings, bg colors, text color, whatever.
17. I dont like the bland industrial tan background you have under your content.
18. "site checks" is for sites that are completely done, and rdy for launch. Your site doesnt seem complete.
19. OMG, your forms are so bad. need i say more?
keep going, you're doing great!
Yeah, I haven't setup the
Yeah, I haven't setup the archive/forum areas, I should've mentioned that.
Thanks for pointing out the CAPCHA, I'll have to fix that.
I've added the link to CSSCreator, it was horrible of me to overlook.
Re: CupidsToeJam 1.
1. Validation error fixed.
2. Not sure I feel up to the task of going to strict for a wordpress theme.
3. Commented styles removed
4. How can it be made SEO friendly while using Wordpress? Recommended links?
5. How? I don't believe that this design could be achieved with 1 without overly large images or repeats in the wrong places. I'm pretty sure 3 is optimal for these concerns.
6. Can the sprites technique be used with animated gifs? I'm aware of how they are used, and in this instance, they would not work as far as I know. The method I used for the menu is my own creation and will be featured in an article on the site. It doesn't work with Chrome, Opera or Safari because of their broken animated gif rendering, but it creates a very nice effect IMO.
7. The small tag is part of the base template that I used. I'll pull it eventually.
8. I should change the H tags around. I usually use h1 for the page title/logo.
9. Other than the wrappers, most of them come from the wordpress template I based mine on. I'm not sure I'll have the integrity to go through and clean them up.
10. The h2 & h3 have different colors, sizes, and one uses all caps vs small caps and h2 has a border on the bottom. I'm not sure this is a valid point.
11. What's wrong with the code as entered? Thanks, the converters are good to have.
12. I think I'll increase the margin for the image and line height for the sidebar.
13. I removed this, but don't you think that it's important to have the CSS validation on a site dedicated to the discussion of CSS?
14. Logo positioning isn't going to change, it's not optimal, but I'm the client and it's not really there to sell the brand, it's there to provide the content.
15. I like the colors, guess we'll have to disagree about that. If you have others you'd recommend I could try them.
16. The sidebar is unimportant to me other than the categories, I could see the font size being bumped up a bit though.
17. I like the color. It's like the recycled paper book covers I used in school.
18. If that's the case, then the thread is not nearly as useful as I would have hoped. I would think that a finished theme would be sufficient, even if some of the pages haven't been fleshed out. In any case, I have changed the heading links to not have the empty page issue. Feel free to overlook the repetition of content.
19. Yes, you need to say more. I like the forms very much, what is it you don't?
Thanks for the insights. BTW, do you find that PixelBehavior.com is effective only having one page? I think I have tried to set up too many pages on my site, but only one seems impossible for me. I've often thought about putting an alert to recommend visitors upgrade their browser, but seriously, IE7? Don't you lose a ton of business shooing away customers with that?
4. simply adding meta data is
4. simply adding meta data is helpful.
11. its not semantic. doesnt tell a screen reader what type of content you're trying to display.
13. no, i dont think its important to let them know.
19. graphics used to support the forms dont have anything to do with the sites theme. its doesnt match, and they are kinda ugly.
One-pages sites are growing in popularity. My site has a simple message, therefor a simple design; one page. Remember, your page can scroll vertically. Ive seen a growing trend of single paged websites, that provide alot of content within a very well structured single page.
Yes, I am loosing business from people who use IE browsers. I just dont give a damn. I could build a stylesheet just for IE users, but feel they need to know they have a *beep*ty browser. some convert, some dont. "Keep moving forward", thats what I say
Internet Explorer 8 is a
Internet Explorer 8 is a decent browser, I use firefox all the time, but seriously, you got to be kidding, if you could target IE6 users ~ okay, but IE7 and IE8? Your crazy!