4 replies [Last post]
gettingbettercss
gettingbettercss's picture
NJ
NJ
Timezone: GMT-5

When a old geezer reaches the age of 52 is it time to retire from the design world?

Tags:
Tyssen
Tyssen's picture
Brisbane
Brisbane
Timezone: GMT+10

It depends

Are you still getting work? Do you still like it? If the answer to those questions is yes, then don't retire.

How to get help
Post a link. If you can't post a link, jsFiddle it.
My blog | My older articles | CSS Reference

Ed Seedhouse
Ed Seedhouse's picture
Guru
Victoria British Columbia
Victoria British Columbia
Timezone: GMT-8

Tyssen wrote:Are you still

Tyssen wrote:

Are you still getting work? Do you still like it? If the answer to those questions is yes, then don't retire.

I didn't even learn HTML until I was older than that!

Ed Seedhouse

Posting Guidelines

Watch out! I am carrying irony, sarcasm and satire, and know how to use them.

Sophiya
Sophiya's picture
Las Vegas
Las Vegas
Timezone: GMT+5.5

i think it is not the matter

i think it is not the matter about age, if the performance of the person is good than i think it is not the good time for the retirement....

[Wait 'til you've earned the privilege of a sig line. ~gt/mod]

roytheboy
roytheboy's picture
Guru
North Wales, UK
North Wales, UK
Timezone: GMT+1

Retirement - who needs it!

As I sit here with 52 years of life gone by, my biggest fear is that arthritis or presbyopia or some other age-related condition will force me to have to retire. The wonderful thing about programming and designing for the web is that every project and every client is a chance to learn new things. Our industry is constantly moving forwards, forever evolving, changing, rewriting the rules. I love it - every day is a chance to learn something new, to explore fresh frontiers and to push the boundaries into new territories. Retire? ...you have got to be kidding!

That said, age is making me far less tolerant than I used to be. If I meet one more marketing graduate who has discovered Photoshop or Dreamweaver and who then classes themselves as a graphic designer or developer, I'll scream. But then it's not their fault because to cite the essence of the Dunning-Kruger effect: the trouble with the incompetent is that they don't know what they don't know.

I hope I die a sudden death at my keyboard, proudly tidying up my latest web system interface and back-end Cool

Merry Christmas one and all - it's good to see so many of the regulars still posting after all these years Smile

Life's a b*tch and then you die!