21 replies [Last post]
n8gz4ez
n8gz4ez's picture
Offline
Leader
Last seen: 13 years 36 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2005-06-13
Posts: 802
Points: 0

I was reading thepineapplehead's Must-Have Firefox Extensions. A lot of these extensions and tools I'm finding mentioned around here are relatively new to me. I just wish I would have known about them sooner.

Are any forum users out there that are absolutely happy with their text editor? If so, what are people using?

Originally I was using textpad, then I switched to crimson editor, and now I'm using topstyle.

Any recommendations?

This is my big chance . . . yep, I blew it . . .

Tags:
HellsBells
HellsBells's picture
Offline
Leader
Bedford, UK
Last seen: 14 years 23 weeks ago
Bedford, UK
Joined: 2004-04-07
Posts: 851
Points: 0

which text editor?

I'm currently using HTML-Kit - only thing I can't find is a decent extended find and replace on it - may be that I haven't found it yet though as I've only been using it a month.

Hey isn't Doncaster great!!

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it!

"Also, your CSS (no offence) makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon" - TPH

n8gz4ez
n8gz4ez's picture
Offline
Leader
Last seen: 13 years 36 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2005-06-13
Posts: 802
Points: 0

which text editor?

Same with top-style, I cannot find an extended F&R, at least yet. Textpad was pretty good with F&R. Too bad there isn't something with a clipboard type F&R.

HellsBells wrote:
Hey isn't Doncaster great!!

Tally Ho!

This is my big chance . . . yep, I blew it . . .

Fruitcake
Offline
Enthusiast
Perth, Australia
Last seen: 14 years 27 weeks ago
Perth, Australia
Timezone: GMT+8
Joined: 2004-04-12
Posts: 257
Points: 0

which text editor?

HellsBells wrote:
I'm currently using HTML-Kit - only thing I can't find is a decent extended find and replace on it - may be that I haven't found it yet though as I've only been using it a month.

Hey isn't Doncaster great!!

Yeah HTML-Kit has a poor F&R and it doesn't retain your search criteria except for maybe the string you search for. HTML-Kit also has lots of bugs surrounding auto-complete which in itself can be annoying.

I am Dan, Dan I am.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Guru

which text editor?

I use TextWrangler exclusively. Smile

antibland
antibland's picture
Offline
Leader
Pittsburgh
Last seen: 13 years 39 weeks ago
Pittsburgh
Joined: 2005-01-17
Posts: 603
Points: 0

which text editor?

Dreamweaver's my game--but I only use it for the server connections, code organization, and syntax highlighting--never for code creation. As long as an application performs these tasks well, it's all you really need. I've always hand coded and probably always will. CSS, like many things in life, is best done in the raw.

- Antibland

gary.turner
gary.turner's picture
Offline
Moderator
Dallas
Last seen: 1 year 31 weeks ago
Dallas
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2004-06-25
Posts: 9776
Points: 3858

which text editor?

If your web page is as clever as you can make it, it's probably too clever for you to debug or maintain.

muzishun
Offline
Enthusiast
Lawrence, KS
Last seen: 15 years 9 weeks ago
Lawrence, KS
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2005-02-08
Posts: 106
Points: 0

which text editor?

I personally use Araneae. (http://www.araneae.com/) It's got syntax highlighting for HTML, and the new version, currently in beta, will have added syntax highlighting for CSS along with ASP, PHP, and a few others. I've found it to be an absolute necessity whenever I'm working on a site.

Bill Parrott
Co-Owner and Co-Founder
Eternal Second Designs
http//www.EternalSecond.com/

larmyia
Offline
Elder
London
Last seen: 14 years 3 weeks ago
London
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2005-01-25
Posts: 1060
Points: 0

which text editor?

I use UltraEdit-32, which I really like and have no problems with as so far. Smile

larmyia

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 23 weeks 4 days ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9683
Points: 819

which text editor?

muzishun wrote:
I personally use Araneae. (http://www.araneae.com/) It's got syntax highlighting for HTML, and the new version, currently in beta, will have added syntax highlighting for CSS along with ASP, PHP, and a few others. I've found it to be an absolute necessity whenever I'm working on a site.

Notepad2 all the way, baby!

Syntax highlighting for CSS, HTML, VB, Javascript, XML, c/C++/C#, assembler, Python, Pascal, SQL, .bat files - you name it, it's got it!

It's also free, and is only 540kb. Small enough even to fit on a floppy drive. Three times Laughing out loud

http://www.flos-freeware.ch

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

Chris..S
Chris..S's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2005-02-22
Posts: 6078
Points: 173

which text editor?

Do any of the other editors mentioned (HTML-Kit, UltraEdit-32, Araneae, TextWrangler, Crimson Editor, topstyle) do any site management/synchronisation?

Thats where you have a local copy of all the site files and within the editor you can transfer them to/from the website location.

HellsBells
HellsBells's picture
Offline
Leader
Bedford, UK
Last seen: 14 years 23 weeks ago
Bedford, UK
Joined: 2004-04-07
Posts: 851
Points: 0

which text editor?

Chris..S wrote:
Do any of the other editors mentioned (HTML-Kit, UltraEdit-32, Araneae, TextWrangler, Crimson Editor, topstyle) do any site management/synchronisation?

Thats where you have a local copy of all the site files and within the editor you can transfer them to/from the website location.

Hey, you mean like FrontPage? Laughing out loud

I used to use AceHTML which I liked - had a few annoying bugs, a very good extended F&R and linked in with AceFTP - but they don't do the freebie version anymore, so like the skinflint I am I dropped it!.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I don't use 90% of the stuff in HTML-kit or AceHTML either. I like the coloured code thing, I like the HTML checking facility, spell check, F&R and for some reason the insert image thing (mainly because I forget what the image is called) but I don't use anything else - the auto-complete really annoys me.

I've got Notetab Light on my system (used it to strip out some Word goo from a site) so maybe I'll try that instead.

Would it be a good idea to have a permanent Editor review section where people can leave comments about various editors?

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it!

"Also, your CSS (no offence) makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon" - TPH

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 23 weeks 4 days ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9683
Points: 819

which text editor?

HellsBells wrote:

Would it be a good idea to have a permanent Editor review section where people can leave comments about various editors?

As a matter of fact, I think that's an excellent idea.

Each user can post a review (in one topic obviously Laughing out loud) of their favourite text editor, where to get it, what it does, etc.

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

HellsBells
HellsBells's picture
Offline
Leader
Bedford, UK
Last seen: 14 years 23 weeks ago
Bedford, UK
Joined: 2004-04-07
Posts: 851
Points: 0

which text editor?

Can they do screenshots too please - very important if you're staring at it all day.

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it!

"Also, your CSS (no offence) makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon" - TPH

Chris..S
Chris..S's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2005-02-22
Posts: 6078
Points: 173

which text editor?

HellsBells wrote:
Chris..S wrote:
Do any of the other editors mentioned (HTML-Kit, UltraEdit-32, Araneae, TextWrangler, Crimson Editor, topstyle) do any site management/synchronisation?

Thats where you have a local copy of all the site files and within the editor you can transfer them to/from the website location.

Hey, you mean like FrontPage? Laughing out loud

No (I've never used FrontPage), like DreamWeaver. Wink

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 23 weeks 4 days ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9683
Points: 819

which text editor?

I think that was sarcasm Laughing out loud

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

Chris..S
Chris..S's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 10 years 2 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2005-02-22
Posts: 6078
Points: 173

which text editor?

You don't say. :roll:

Laughing out loud

Hugo
Hugo's picture
Offline
Moderator
London
Last seen: 7 years 39 weeks ago
London
Joined: 2004-06-06
Posts: 15668
Points: 2806

which text editor?

thepineapplehead wrote:
HellsBells wrote:

Would it be a good idea to have a permanent Editor review section where people can leave comments about various editors?


As a matter of fact, I think that's an excellent idea.

Each user can post a review (in one topic obviously Laughing out loud) of their favourite text editor, where to get it, what it does, etc.


Not a great idea to start a whole new sub forum on one topic such as this especially as it's software application based and this is a forum related to a CSS specific coding, it would be hard to know where to stop really .
Perhaps a better idea would be to create a sticky post in the 'Off Topic' section with Tony's agreement that people could add to.

Hugo.

Before you make your first post it is vital that you READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please post ALL your code - both CSS & HTML - in [code] tags
Please validate and ensure you have included a full Doctype before posting.
Why validate? Read Me

HellsBells
HellsBells's picture
Offline
Leader
Bedford, UK
Last seen: 14 years 23 weeks ago
Bedford, UK
Joined: 2004-04-07
Posts: 851
Points: 0

which text editor?

Hugo wrote:

Perhaps a better idea would be to create a sticky post in the 'Off Topic' section with Tony's agreement that people could add to.

Hugo.

Sorry - that's exactly what I meant - a sticky!

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it!

"Also, your CSS (no offence) makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon" - TPH

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Moderator
Last seen: 23 weeks 4 days ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9683
Points: 819

which text editor?

Done Laughing out loud Look up

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

Hugo
Hugo's picture
Offline
Moderator
London
Last seen: 7 years 39 weeks ago
London
Joined: 2004-06-06
Posts: 15668
Points: 2806

which text editor?

Ah , ok sorry my misunderstanding thought we were suggesting a new section, having said that I see that TPH has already started, as is his wont Smile

Edit: have we given Tony a heads up for courtesys sake, having now made it a sticky ?

Hugo.

Before you make your first post it is vital that you READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please post ALL your code - both CSS & HTML - in [code] tags
Please validate and ensure you have included a full Doctype before posting.
Why validate? Read Me

n8gz4ez
n8gz4ez's picture
Offline
Leader
Last seen: 13 years 36 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2005-06-13
Posts: 802
Points: 0

which text editor?

Chris..S wrote:
Do any of the other editors mentioned (HTML-Kit, UltraEdit-32, Araneae, TextWrangler, Crimson Editor, topstyle) do any site management/synchronisation?


Topstyle sure does. I am not sure that it can synchronize, but only because I prefer to upload files myself. My guess is yes though. I'll have a review of it shortly.

Edit: Topstyle does not. I looked at it closely and you can download URL directly to the editor, but nothing about uploading sites and synchronization.

This is my big chance . . . yep, I blew it . . .