9 replies [Last post]
protagonist
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 50 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2003-11-02
Posts: 6
Points: 0

Hi, i am (literally) in the middle of my first css-based website and, already, i'm totally stuck...

The page i've created displays only in IE properly, other browsers, like Mozilla Firebird, Opera, etc. reject most of the css-positionings i've made, unfortunately rendering the page useless to alternative browsers.

The page's url is http://www.taxsystems.at

i'd be thankful if you could help me getting this page accessible for at least
mozilla and opera.

PS: Any constructive criticism about the layout/design is of course welcome.

Tony
Tony's picture
Offline
Moderator
Brisbane
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Brisbane
Timezone: GMT+10
Joined: 2003-03-12
Posts: 5342
Points: 2963

Opera/Mozilla & Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

Hi protagonist,
First thing that I tried to do was validate the css file. http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.taxsystems.at/TaxSystems.css&warning=1&profile=css2
which came up with the same error twice

Quote:
cursorhand is not a cursor value : hand
This suprised me, although I don't use cursor values very often I thought hand would have been a valid value. These are the correct values
Quote:
auto | crosshair | default | pointer | move | e-resize | ne-resize | nw-resize | n-resize | se-resize | sw-resize | s-resize | w-resize| text | wait | help
cursor: hand is mentioned in two places both TSmenu and TSsubmenu, it's possible that since they are only supported by IE that they are causing some problems.

The big flash bar at the bottom is very slow to load and doesn't really add to the site, you could just use a background image.

Hope that helps.

protagonist
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 50 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2003-11-02
Posts: 6
Points: 0

Opera/Mozilla & Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

First of all: thank you,

perhaps you'll be as surprised as i have been to hear that my page is now in "valid css", to me that was a certificate i'd never guessed to be earned this easily Smile Easily too, because nothing changed... the page still doesnt work in mozilla or opera, even though the css is officially "flawless" now.

i have no idea how to fix it now...

here's the link to the css validation: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.taxsystems.at&warning=1&profile=css2&usermedium=all

protagonist
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 50 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2003-11-02
Posts: 6
Points: 0

Opera/Mozilla & Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

please, if anyone has an idea how to get this page working in opera and mozilla,

please post...

protagonist
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 50 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2003-11-02
Posts: 6
Points: 0

problem solved

as populated as this thread has been, it might be very probable that noone actually cares about it, but for those, who might ever experience the same problems, here's the solution:

the "thing" that prevented the page from being displayed properly in mozilla and opera was the definition of the doctype, usually the first line in every html-document. After removing said line and replacing it with a simple <html> tag, the page is working just fine with every browser. As a minor drawback, any page without a defined doctype can't be "valid html", but after all, i'd rather have working html...

In the future, i'll have to learn which kind of doctype is adequate for the project i'm working on, but for now this seems to be a useful "work-around".

i hope this was helpful...

znaps
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 51 weeks ago
Joined: 2003-10-30
Posts: 3
Points: 0

Re: problem solved

Post the DocType you used - I'm interested for one. Was it an XHTML 1.0 doctype which forced Mozilla into strict standards mode?

protagonist
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 50 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2003-11-02
Posts: 6
Points: 0

Opera/Mozilla &amp; Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

currently the page has no doctype specified. the code starts just with a simple:

<html>
<head>
...

i've actually tried every possible doctype-format that http://validator.w3.org/ is suggesting, none of them resulted in a valid code...after all, since my "invalid" page is working in any browser i've tried so far, i wouldn't recommend wasting any thoughts on doctypes at all...

Tony
Tony's picture
Offline
Moderator
Brisbane
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Brisbane
Timezone: GMT+10
Joined: 2003-03-12
Posts: 5342
Points: 2963

Opera/Mozilla &amp; Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

Hi protagonist,
The main problem seems to be the flash objects expanding outside their containers.
Why don't you just adjust the width and height of them to pixel values inside the object and embed tags.

Hope that helps

protagonist
Offline
newbie
Last seen: 15 years 50 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2003-11-02
Posts: 6
Points: 0

Opera/Mozilla &amp; Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

thx tony,

i'll will give it a try and replace the %-values as soon as i can and post the results.

basically i thought that using relative values (like telling a flash movie to use 100% of its container width instead of forcing it to have exactly xy pixels), would be a good idea, since that should be "understandable" to any browsers, i'm surprised that it is not...

Tony
Tony's picture
Offline
Moderator
Brisbane
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Brisbane
Timezone: GMT+10
Joined: 2003-03-12
Posts: 5342
Points: 2963

Opera/Mozilla &amp; Co. mutilate my page, plz help!

Hi protagonist,
The div's containing the flash didn't know how to handel the objects that overflowed it's boundaries.