I'm a long time reader first time site check requester.
I've been spending the last few days redesigning my portfolio site and since I've grown to respect the opinions of people on here I thought you'd be my first stop for critique. There's no need to pull any punches either, I can take it..I bought ice cream, cookies and tissues.
Hope to hear from you all soon.
The good, the bad, the ugly
1. html validates !!! You have 1 error for css validation.
2. Not SEO friendly
Can this not be a list?
4. Good use of heading tags! Although, your should be your site logo.
<p> <a href="portfolio.html" title="View this and more in our portfolio"><img src="images/portfolio_piecesml.jpg" width="380px" height="120px" alt="" /></a> <a href="portfolio.html" title="View this and more in our portfolio"><img src="images/cq_portfolio_piece.jpg" width="380px" height="120px" alt="" /></a> <a href="portfolio.html" title="View this and more in our portfolio"><img src="images/ra_portfolio_piece.jpg" width="380px" height="120px" alt="" /></a> <a href="portfolio.html" title="View this and more in our portfolio"><span class="more">See more...</span></a> </p>
This can also be a list.
<h3><span class="spantext">Standards Complient</span></h3> <p>All of my sites stick to the strictest of web standards, what this means is that your site will load faster and work better.</p> <h3><span class="spantext">Unique Design</span></h3> <p>Every design is lovingly and painfully designed from scratch meaning you're not going to find your site somewhere else in a different colour.</p> <h3><span class="spantext">SEO</span></h3> <p>Each site is optomised to receive as high a ranking as possible within popular search engines.</p> <h3><span class="spantext">Usabilty & Accessibility</span></h3> <p>Usability is a necessary condition for surviving the web jungle. Its all too easy to give people a reason to leave a website, they get lost, can't use the site or just have no idea what its about. all my designs are planned to keep this from happening.</p>
This can be a list.
7. The flash character, I thinks its simple enough to where it could have been an animated gif.
8. I think your footer needs to be 100% in width, and thicker.
9. I love the design. Its simple, easy to understand and scan.
10. I love the nature of the design. It makes me feel like this is a fun place to be. The interactivity with the header color changes is fun!
11. I'd add some line-height for all the text.
12. have you thought about having the row of "get in touch, about us, recent entries" being a dif. color? It will help the design and layout. That is a dif. piece of information then the main content, thus shouldnt look like main content. It just think it needs something to set it apart from main content is all, the 1px line isnt enough.
Great site, it was inviting!
Thanks for the feed back
Thanks for the feed back Cupids, you raise some good points about the lists I'm gonna get on that either tonight or tomorrow. The CSS error is due to the IE PNG fix but that's easily resolved, I shouldn't really have missed it in the first place.
Funny you should mention the footer as the way you describe it was its original design, damn retrospect!
And here's me thinking I'd have a break tonight
Just wanted to say, that the
Just wanted to say, that the site is looking great. Those were great suggestions that Cupids gave you, and I see that you have all of them implemented already! I have to agree.. great use of the heading tags, nice clean code.. looks great!
One thing I noticed when posting a blog sample though.. on your blog page, your footer doesn't stretch the entire width of the screen anymore. I'm assuming that was not intended, as some of the text inside by the RSS icon gets cut off. Just thought I'd point that out.. I'm using FF by the way.
Hey, yeah the blogs
Hey, yeah the blogs stylesheet is separate to the rest I've just got to apply the same changes. thanks for the comments
p.s Great catch on the footer images in the comments/archive pages Titan, I didn't take the directory change into account so it completely threw out the relative links, should be sorted now.