20 replies [Last post]
engxladso
Offline
Regular
Last seen: 13 years 50 weeks ago
Joined: 2005-10-31
Posts: 12
Points: 0

Check out http://www.cachethomewares.com/

The background color of the page goes down to the bottom of the lowest element in the page but no lower.

DTD is <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

I have tried height:605px; and height:100%; and height:auto;

The first of these create unwanted scrollbars since the entire page content is visible. The latter have no effect.

This is probably a very basic problem, but I am stumped Sad

Please help.

ClevaTreva
ClevaTreva's picture
Offline
Guru
A hilly place, UK
Last seen: 49 weeks 4 days ago
A hilly place, UK
Joined: 2004-02-05
Posts: 2902
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Hi

I don't often do this, but (with apologies to TPH):

VALIDATE IT FIRST!

You have set a background color of white for the body in your css file, then a BGCOLOR in the body tag (not allowed as this is NOT deprecated) and then set it as a style in the body tag.

And you expect the browser to get it right?

PLEASE. Remove styling from the html tags and put it in the css file, where it should be.

Trevor

engxladso
Offline
Regular
Last seen: 13 years 50 weeks ago
Joined: 2005-10-31
Posts: 12
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

ClevaTreva wrote:
Hi

I don't often do this, but (with apologies to TPH):

VALIDATE IT FIRST!

You have set a background color of white for the body in your css file, then a BGCOLOR in the body tag (not allowed as this is NOT deprecated) and then set it as a style in the body tag.

And you expect the browser to get it right?

PLEASE. Remove styling from the html tags and put it in the css file, where it should be.

Trevor

The reason I put this question in the beginner's section is because I am a beginner at CSS. I have been programming either the mainframe or client server or web back end for 15 years and all I know about CSS is what I have picked up while using it over the last couple of months.

That's why I need your advice. What I do not need is ridicule and shouting.

"Oh yes these rookies are so stupid. Oh I'm so superior."

It is not compulsory for cleverness and arrogance to always go together!

And who is TPH? Not directed at me I guess but maybe its some insider joke for your guru buddies?

How rude!

Really its pathetic when people feel that the only way they can validate themselves is by expressing superiority to others. And I won't have it. Please express yourself politely in future or if you can't then don't bother answering my questions.

I suppose you will kick me off your board now for daring to stand up to your arrogance.

engxladso
Offline
Regular
Last seen: 13 years 50 weeks ago
Joined: 2005-10-31
Posts: 12
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

ClevaTreva wrote:
Hi

I don't often do this, but (with apologies to TPH):

VALIDATE IT FIRST!

You have set a background color of white for the body in your css file, then a BGCOLOR in the body tag (not allowed as this is NOT deprecated) and then set it as a style in the body tag.

And you expect the browser to get it right?

PLEASE. Remove styling from the html tags and put it in the css file, where it should be.

Trevor

Oh yeah and one more thing, the reason there were multiple versions of bgcolor was because I was trying everything to make it work and that was my last experiment. I just forgot to change it in the .css as you noted.

Also I fixed the problem myself by adding height:100% to the body tag style. I was just coming here to delete my post since I no longer needed your help when I read your outrageous response.

ClevaTreva
ClevaTreva's picture
Offline
Guru
A hilly place, UK
Last seen: 49 weeks 4 days ago
A hilly place, UK
Joined: 2004-02-05
Posts: 2902
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Hi

I am sory you felt agrieved. My post was NOT:

Ridiculing you. Where in my post did I do that? You inferred it maybe. I didn't say it.

A few uppercase letters is not shouting. The whole post in caps is.

Arrogant? Me? How so? Did I say I know how to do something you don't? No, I asked you to do what the stickies ask you to do. It appears you feel I am being unreasonable to ask you to do a little bit of work before asking me (or anyone else) to spend my/their time helping you rather than be with my family.

What we are trying to do is to get you to do as much as you can to hep us identify the problem. It would appear that you take it as an afront to be asked to do what those stickies ask and validate the page.

Fair enough. I can ignore your cries for help in the future and help someone who is polite and takes the time to come back and say thanks.

TPH is thepineapplehead. He reasonably (and usually before me) asks the poster to do what I asked you to do. Validation is free and easy, and would ahve killed all the errors.

And, FYI, adding 100% height isn't necessary to get the backgorund to fill the whole page. Indeed, it usually causes problems in Firefox.

But I guess you don't want an answer to that problem when it arises.

I can't (nor would I want to) bar you. You say what you want. I can (and will) ignore you. I highly recomend others to do the same given your over-the-top reply.

Trevor

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Guru

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

engxladso wrote:
That's why I need your advice. What I do not need is ridicule and shouting.

"Oh yes these rookies are so stupid. Oh I'm so superior."

It is not compulsory for cleverness and arrogance to always go together!

And who is TPH? Not directed at me I guess but maybe its some insider joke for your guru buddies?

How rude!

Really its pathetic when people feel that the only way they can validate themselves is by expressing superiority to others. And I won't have it. Please express yourself politely in future or if you can't then don't bother answering my questions.*sigh* Being a beginner need not cause such insecurity. This is by far the oddest post I've seen in a long time.

I guess we owe you a refund.

Take a deep breath and read this: http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Guru
Last seen: 1 year 8 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9668
Points: 801

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

I don't think they're coming back Tongue

engxladso wrote:
"Oh yes these rookies are so stupid. Oh I'm so superior."

The thing is, you obviously didn't read the stickies called READ THIS BEFORE POSTING that EXPLICITLY STATE you need to validate before we will help you. If you don't read that, we assume you have no intention of helping yourself, and ergo reserve the right to treat you like a moron.

Quote:
And who is TPH? Not directed at me I guess but maybe its some insider joke for your guru buddies?

Me Laughing out loud

Quote:
I suppose you will kick me off your board now for daring to stand up to your arrogance.

Of course we won't! We always like to have a good discussion with new members, and hopefull yif you stick around we can resolve this peacefully.

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

n8gz4ez
n8gz4ez's picture
Offline
Leader
Last seen: 10 years 37 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2005-06-13
Posts: 802
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

I love the gurus, they're the nicest people on the planet.

edit: original message, "You have to admit, it is about time someone stood up to the gurus" :twisted:

This is my big chance . . . yep, I blew it . . .

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Guru

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

n8gz4ez wrote:
I love the gurus, they're the nicest people on the planet.
Yeah!

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Guru
Last seen: 1 year 8 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9668
Points: 801

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Why thankyou :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

see, don't get on our bad side Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

n8gz4ez
n8gz4ez's picture
Offline
Leader
Last seen: 10 years 37 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT-6
Joined: 2005-06-13
Posts: 802
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Nice trick, so that probably explains all the stupid things I have said. :roll:

This is my big chance . . . yep, I blew it . . .

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Guru

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

HEY!

Laughing out loud

gary.turner
gary.turner's picture
Offline
Moderator
Dallas
Last seen: 23 hours 29 min ago
Dallas
Timezone: GMT-5
Joined: 2004-06-25
Posts: 9743
Points: 3822

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

n8gz4ez wrote:
Nice trick, so that probably explains all the stupid things I have said. :roll:

Nah, you get full credit for those. Laughing out loud

cheers,

gary

If your web page is as clever as you can make it, it's probably too clever for you to debug or maintain.

engxladso
Offline
Regular
Last seen: 13 years 50 weeks ago
Joined: 2005-10-31
Posts: 12
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

thepineapplehead wrote:
and ergo reserve the right to treat you like a moron.

QED

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Guru
Last seen: 1 year 8 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9668
Points: 801

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

eh?

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Guru

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

engxladso wrote:
QED
Quick! We need a friendster in here, STAT!!!

Quote:
"Q.E.D." (sometimes written "QED") is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" ("that which was to be demonstrated"), a notation which is often placed at the end of a mathematical proof to indicate its completion. Several symbols are occasionally used as synonyms for Q.E.D. These include a filled square (Unicode U+220E, as used in Mathematics Magazine and American Mathematical Monthly), a filled rectangle (Knuth 1997, pp. 3 and 39), or an empty square .

Hugo
Hugo's picture
Offline
Moderator
London
Last seen: 4 years 40 weeks ago
London
Joined: 2004-06-06
Posts: 15668
Points: 2806

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

It means TPH that the poster rests his case, but I suppose you knew that ! you managed to support his assertion with the line "reserve the right to treat you like a moron" well done.

WE DO NOT RESERVE THE RIGHT TO TREAT ANYONE LIKE A MORON , NEVER SUGGEST AS SUCH REGARDLESS OF THE ATTITUDE DEMONSTRATED BY A POSTER.

We request that people validate their work before posting we DO NOT INSIST that they do, however vexing it is for us.

Let us be very careful here I suggest that members think carefully before stating that posters should validate, there have been a number of posts on the subject everyone needs to take stock of them and to ask themselves whether they fully understand the nature and importance of validation given the particular circumstances, before leaping in.

Trevor in this instance was correct in pointing this out to the OP and did so without any rancour or spite.

engxladso I suggest that you re-read Trevors original reply and your response as it was a wholly un-warranted over reaction to his comments which indeed did attempt to provide some assistance with your problem even if you did not think so.

This thread has now reached a natural conclusion apart that is from any apologies that may be in the offing ?

Hugo.

Before you make your first post it is vital that you READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please post ALL your code - both CSS & HTML - in [code] tags
Please validate and ensure you have included a full Doctype before posting.
Why validate? Read Me

thepineapplehead
thepineapplehead's picture
Offline
Guru
Last seen: 1 year 8 weeks ago
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-06-30
Posts: 9668
Points: 801

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Ok, I'd like to apologise for my flippant remark.

However, my point still stands. The stickies are there FOR A REASON. They state "BEFORE POSTING CLICK HERE", which obviously many posters can't seem to do.

I just get irritated telling them what they should already now, had they read the sticky.

Verschwindende wrote:
  • CSS doesn't make pies

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Guru

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Hugo wrote:
It means TPH that the poster rests his case, but I suppose you knew that !

The only problem with that logic (OP not Hugo) is that Trevor did not treat him in any such way. engxladso had a serious blow out for absolutely NO reason. It was only after his acting like a moron was he treated as such.

I really don't see the necessity of TPH apologizing but it is nice of him to do it. Smile

Hugo
Hugo's picture
Offline
Moderator
London
Last seen: 4 years 40 weeks ago
London
Joined: 2004-06-06
Posts: 15668
Points: 2806

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

Totally agreed, the response was out of proportion to the slight perceived, and yes moron was only mentioned after the fact; still it's something which does require thinking about before we label posters.

We all get frustrated with the fact that people don't read the stickies/forum guidelines but it's never going to change :roll:

My mention of apology was pointed at the original poster really, for the uncalled for outburst; not so much yourself TPH.

Hugo.

Before you make your first post it is vital that you READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please post ALL your code - both CSS & HTML - in [code] tags
Please validate and ensure you have included a full Doctype before posting.
Why validate? Read Me

ClevaTreva
ClevaTreva's picture
Offline
Guru
A hilly place, UK
Last seen: 49 weeks 4 days ago
A hilly place, UK
Joined: 2004-02-05
Posts: 2902
Points: 0

Backround color refuses to fill entire page

engxladso wrote:
QED

Stretching my old days in Latin classes (30+ years ago)

Quad Erat Demonstrandum?

I think. Can't be bothered to Google.

That which is demonstrated. Or, you just proved my point.

What he means is, you just called him a moron. Which proves that he was right and that all Guru's treat noobs with disrespect, etc etc.

Err.. :roll: :roll:

But DID you call him a moron? No, you said you would treat him like one, coz he didn't read the stickies. Because he flew off the handle. Because he wouldn't do a simple thing to show he wanted to help push his broken down car.

I don't think one can have a sensible conversation until somebody has clamed down. How on earth anyone can have a background in IT (as I do) and not be so laid back as to be horizontal is beyond me. Almost everyone I met professionally in my 20+ years in IT survives by not getting wound up. Those that react like this quickly get shuffled out of their jobs. Or off this mortal coil.

Trevor