A big part of the focus of this years conference was Mobile devices and the impact they will have on the web. Ajax, CSS, Accessibility and Social networks also featured highly. Many of the slideshows are available on SlideShare.
I met many great people while in Sydney, students, speakers, authors, designers, developers, managers and everyone in between. Of course I mentioned CSSCreator to most of them and many of them knew of it. One guy was very excited as he had just found the site that morning and used it to get him out of a tight spot with CSS.
At the conference Bert Bos, spoke about the future of HTML and CSS, and priorities. Bert was introduced as the 'CSS Creator', so I had to have a chuckle and tell the person sitting next to me that CSSCreator was the name of my site. After his presentation, I introduced myself to Bert and thanked him for linking to my site when I first started the CSS forum.
Things to Consider
- How will people visit your site?
- Opera is available on wii, the iphone, ipod touch and many mobile phones and other devices, even fridges are using the web.
- Will all users be able to use your site?
- Think not only about devices and if they have a keyboard to enter data to signup. Also consider types of users, language, disabilities
- Do you really need to use Flash or Ajax?
- Sure, use them when you can enhance the visitors experience. Consider users and devices that don't support flash, AJAX or whatever, will they still be able to use your site. Think about load time it is still relevant even in the broadband era. Use flash and AJAX sparingly.
- The web is not a printed broucher
- Design your site with different screen sizes, resolution, devices and users in mind. Follow the web standards and you will be on your way towards an accessible, usable web site.
- Give users a choice
- Users may want to decide what information they see on the page. If you give them the choice make sure you remember the settings they choose for the next time they visit.
- Will 2007 be remembered as the year of the mobile web?