9 replies [Last post]
cssfrusciante
Offline
newbie
Italy
Last seen: 6 years 13 weeks ago
Italy
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2008-01-16
Posts: 3
Points: 0

Tired of double designing and testing because of Internet Explorer's non-compliance to standards?

My solution: stop doing the double work because of IE. Let's leave our websites ugly for IE users, with a clear warning message like:

Quote:
Warning: due to a bug in Internet Explorer, this website may look like ugly. To view this page correctly, please use a standard compliant browser. Thanks.

This could be followed by a sponsored link to (just as example) Firefox.

Websites, though uglier, should anyway remain usable by IE users: otherwise, nobody would pay for a website which isn't viewable with IE. But the point is: web developers (and their bosses) should keep in mind (and let the users know) that if a standard compliant website is not correctly displayed on IE this is *not* a problem of the website: this is a problem of IE. If we continue doing double layouts for IE and the rest of world, Microsoft will continue not to adher with standards, and web developers and companies will always have to waste time and money because of this. Moreover, most of users who'll pass from IE to FF will be thankful to you.

And I wonder why MS is a W3C member...

My original post (with some external links): link

ClevaTreva
ClevaTreva's picture
Offline
Guru
A hilly place, UK
Last seen: 1 year 43 weeks ago
A hilly place, UK
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2004-02-05
Posts: 2902
Points: 0

That would be like me (a

That would be like me (a Luddite from the UK) visiting the US and insisting on driving on the left hand side of the road. After all, we have got it right, not the majority who drive on the right (actually it's a throwback to when we were at war with France).

Bottom line. IE has the lion's share of the market. I don't bother designing for IE5 anymore, and I only nod towards IE6 if it's easy.

A web site has a purpose. To encourage visitors. If they have IE7, who are you to complain?

Clearly MS aren't going to listen.

Triumph (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Guru

Wasn't there such a campaign

Wasn't there such a campaign by webstandards.org about 4 or 5 years back? I guess we see how far that went. Laughing out loud

Triumph (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Guru

http://web.archive.org/web/20

cssfrusciante
Offline
newbie
Italy
Last seen: 6 years 13 weeks ago
Italy
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2008-01-16
Posts: 3
Points: 0

ClevaTreva wrote:Bottom

ClevaTreva wrote:
Bottom line. IE has the lion's share of the market. I don't bother designing for IE5 anymore, and I only nod towards IE6 if it's easy.

I wouldn't put it on a "market" question: I don't think a user would abandon an e-shop because of a wrong box model. A bit uglier site should completely keep its functionality.
Quote:
A web site has a purpose. To encourage visitors. If they have IE7, who are you to complain?

You say true things, but it's neverthless true that many users didn't choose their browser. Why we shouldn't make them aware of IE limits?

Triumph wrote:
Wasn't there such a campaign by webstandards.org about 4 or 5 years back? I guess we see how far that went. Laughing out loud

Oops, I missed it. But leaving a drop in the sea is enough for me. Only one visitor installing FF because of the warning will make me proud and happy Smile

Wow, I didn't know this: http://webstandards.org/action/mstf/

cssfrusciante
Offline
newbie
Italy
Last seen: 6 years 13 weeks ago
Italy
Timezone: GMT+1
Joined: 2008-01-16
Posts: 3
Points: 0

Triumph

Triumph (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Guru

cssfrusciante wrote:... Wow,

cssfrusciante wrote:
... Wow, I didn't know this: http://webstandards.org/action/mstf/

Yep, I've been running the Beta of Visual Studio 2008 and ...

... whew. How do I say this ...

... it's pretty sweet! Shock Did I say that out loud? :ohdear:

Triumph (not verified)
Anonymous's picture
Guru

cssfrusciante wrote:Triumph

http://web.archive.org/web/20020204082330/www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/

Smile
A bit too radical, but thanks for the tip Wink
Yeah, don't consider that a tip or advice. You can see how far that went. Wink

mort
Offline
Regular
Luton UK
Last seen: 5 years 40 weeks ago
Luton UK
Joined: 2007-08-12
Posts: 29
Points: 0

firstly sorry to bump an

firstly sorry to bump an oldey

anyways i would love nothing more than to give all users browsing with IE the finger, and say I wont redo the whole site for one browser (and its many versions). also I am sure my boss would love it if we were able to turnaround a site in a fraction of the time that we do now

HOWEVER, if you are a client paying a web company a lot of money for a good website, if they then turn around and say "by the way, 80% of people wont see it as its intended to be", they wont care if its actually MS's fault or not, they just want people to come to their site and be impressed

if i ever met Bill Gates people would have to hold me back Tongue MS is the bane of my life, but we need to find a way to tackle this without shooting ourselves and our industry in the foot, maybe a virus of some kind that infects IE and makes all websites forward to a page explaing the situation, and how simple it is to fix Smile as then if its a virus, thats a client problem, and therefore i dont have to support it Wink

burlster
burlster's picture
Offline
Leader
Bournemouth
Last seen: 12 weeks 4 days ago
Bournemouth
Joined: 2007-05-31
Posts: 692
Points: 43

Aiyeeeeeeee!

This makes me want to make my avatar the IE logo again, but I got told off last time! Hugo threatened to change it, haha!!

Still, IE is useless, but I've decided given that they've apparently put quite a bit of effort in to making IE8 slightly closer to what a browser should be, that I will forgive, forget and hope they've tried as hard as they claim they have to sort most of it out.

If IE8 is better then their previous ones, knowing Microsoft, it'll try and install itself over older IEs anyway! Who knows, maybe IEs days as the MASSIVE pain in the backside it is are numbered?

Have YOU said Hello yet?
The CSSCreator Hello Thread